Fundraising and Event Ideas to Get You Started
- Show “LUMO“, an award winning documentary shot at the HEAL Africa hospital
- Throw a benefit concert, fashion show, sporting event, or art show
- Get your school clubs involved in raising awareness for Congo and HEAL Africa
- Run, bike, walk, or swim a race for HEAL Africa
- Set up a raffle for HEAL Africa and get local businesses to donate prizes
- Host a dinner or dance party for HEAL Africa with a goal to raise a certain amount
- Have a bake sale for HEAL Africa
- Get your church or faith community involved
- Ask local businesses to put out a change jar for HEAL Africa
- Organize a march or rally to tell people about the conflict in Congo and HEAL Africa
Get People Out for Your Event at School
- Create a team to help with the logistics on campus
- Secure and confirm venues for your events
- Lobby for sponsorship of events on the campus (travel and lodging for speakers, speaking fees, promotion of events, etc)
- Contact your student government association for sponsorship and/or support
- Send a press release to the school newspaper and university relations committee
- Visit every department on campus to seek their support
- Meet with professors to seek their support by sending students to the events for extra credit
- Visit all dormitories and halls to distribute flyers and information
- Contact business and marketing students to help in the promotion
- Contact university athletes and coaches about publicly supporting Congo and playing a game in honor of Congo and speaking about Congo at halftime or before/after the game.
Host a Party
- Pick a theme for your party. Some examples: Dance for Congo | Music/Spoken Word | Dinner Party | Art Opening |Storytelling
- Set a fundraising goal
- Send out invitations on Facebook, blogs, Twitter, Evites, etc
- Or get creative and make handmade invitations
- Congo is known across the world for its music and dance. Feature some at your party!
Check out musicians:
- Papa Wemba | Koffi Olomide | Franco | Fally Ipupa | Lokua Kanza
- Look around to see if there are any Congolese musicians or dancers in your area to perform
- Invite a HEAL Africa staff member to speak at your party – Email us here.
Run/Walk/Bike/Swim/Jump for Congo!
- Get people to support you for a race, competition, marathon, or walk-a-thon, and donate the money to HEAL Africa
- Send out a fundraising letter during your training period talking about the training commitment you are making to raise support for HEAL Africa and Congo
- Create a training blog leading up the event so that people can follow your progress
- Get as many cheerleaders there for you on the day of the event
- Wear something on the day of the event that says something about why you are racing. HEAL Africa has racing singlets – to order, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send thank you letters the day after the event, thanking your supporters, revealing the total amount of money you raised, and how your performance went
Before Your Event!
The Logo and Publicity Materials
The logo is trademarked, so please send us a request via email to utilize the logo and we can send you a copy. All printed publicity should be approved by HEAL Africa. On all fundraising materials you must clearly state that you are fundraising or hosting an event, ‘in support of HEAL Africa’ so it is clear you don’t represent HEAL Africa.
If you are hosting an event at a private location, then there is no need for liability insurance. If you are hosting an event at a public venue, make sure to ask the venue about liability insurance and whether or not your event is covered under their insurance.
Temporary Event Notice
If you are putting on a live music event in a place that is not usually designated for music or if you are organizing a race, make sure you check with the city about a temporary event license.
Thank you for getting involved! More questions about how to put on an event? Email us here.